Blog Journal 1
Something that influences teachers to use technology in the classroom is so that it makes their life easier, keeping things, such as lesson plans, organized and in one place. It is much easier to keep all their information in one place and there are many sites on the web that teachers can use for free to keep their lessons plans together and see other teachers lessons plans, as well. It is also beneficial for them to use technology in the classroom because it is strongly encouraged by the government and standards they give teachers. For students, however, technology in the classroom is influenced by other reasons. Most students will be accustomed technology and interested in it, so it is a way gain interest in subject matter. Also, learning styles can vary between students and some students learning style may benefit more from more technology used in the classroom.
The ISTE, is the International Society for Technology in Education, it is a federally funded initiative to develop standards for technology for teachers and other professionals in the educational setting. One standard implicated from the ISTE is the NETS-S standard which, "... articulates not only the basic technology competences for students but also their application" (3). It is important for students to have skills in technology because they will be needing in the future, for college, work, etc. The other standard for that correlates with the NETS-S standard is the NETS-S standard. The NETS-S standard is, "... standards for evaluating the knowledge and skills that teachers should have" (3). While this standard is important for the government to have, some of it may be out of my skill set. Why I can use technology, I may not be completely up to date with everything the standard requires of me.
The label, "digital native" is a good term for the youth today, they are use to seeing technology and using it everyday, their lives almost completely revolve around technology. It is definitely noticeable that some of my teachers and professors, who are digital immigrants, have a hard time with technology and using it in the classroom. I see it almost everyday, one of my professors usually cannot figure out how to operate the projector, almost everyday they need a student to come up from and help them. There are many examples of these same type of incidences I see in the classroom several times a week. It is not that this makes them any less a good professor, however, it does take away learning time and could easily be fixed if they took some classes or attended some workshops that could help them better understand the technology they have to use everyday. I hope that in my future I am better able to handle technology then most of my teachers, however, I assume that in a few years technology will have continued to progress and if I have not had the time to keep up with it, I may run into the same problems my teachers had. However, being a digital naive, I think I will be able to adapt quickly to the new technology and get use to it faster then my teachers could.
-Ashley Cahill
The ISTE, is the International Society for Technology in Education, it is a federally funded initiative to develop standards for technology for teachers and other professionals in the educational setting. One standard implicated from the ISTE is the NETS-S standard which, "... articulates not only the basic technology competences for students but also their application" (3). It is important for students to have skills in technology because they will be needing in the future, for college, work, etc. The other standard for that correlates with the NETS-S standard is the NETS-S standard. The NETS-S standard is, "... standards for evaluating the knowledge and skills that teachers should have" (3). While this standard is important for the government to have, some of it may be out of my skill set. Why I can use technology, I may not be completely up to date with everything the standard requires of me.
The label, "digital native" is a good term for the youth today, they are use to seeing technology and using it everyday, their lives almost completely revolve around technology. It is definitely noticeable that some of my teachers and professors, who are digital immigrants, have a hard time with technology and using it in the classroom. I see it almost everyday, one of my professors usually cannot figure out how to operate the projector, almost everyday they need a student to come up from and help them. There are many examples of these same type of incidences I see in the classroom several times a week. It is not that this makes them any less a good professor, however, it does take away learning time and could easily be fixed if they took some classes or attended some workshops that could help them better understand the technology they have to use everyday. I hope that in my future I am better able to handle technology then most of my teachers, however, I assume that in a few years technology will have continued to progress and if I have not had the time to keep up with it, I may run into the same problems my teachers had. However, being a digital naive, I think I will be able to adapt quickly to the new technology and get use to it faster then my teachers could.
-Ashley Cahill
I agree as well! & the term digital native does seem fitting. It's weird to think we were born with some much technology around us while others are clueless!
ReplyDeleteHi, Ashley! I completely agree with your statement that, as digital natives, our generation will likely have an easier time adapting to the ever-changing world of technology.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with your idea behind digital native. I can't remember a time that technology wasn't used in our classroom and how much it has benefitted our learning!
ReplyDelete