Blog Journal 2

   I have used Microsoft (MS) Word for many years now, I use it daily just about. I mostly use it to write papers and use notes; though, sometimes for miscellaneous things that are not related to school, which is not that usual. Without MS Word, college would have been very different and I would not have been able to get papers done, notes takes, or turned in paper on many software devices that check for plagiarism. Though I believe students probably use MS Word than teachers and professors, I still have plenty of teacher that use it often. I have seen all my professors use it, most commonly for syllabi. However, some professors of mine have also used it to write tests, make the calender's for the semester, and posting homework assignments.
   I do not have tons of experiences with copyrights and fair use, I was unaware of how much went into it until reading Best Practices for Fair Use in Media Literacy. Now that I understand copyright issues and fair use of materials, I know that some of my professors in the past has ignored these things or were unaware. I have had a professor that posted almost every chapter on Blackboard, in our course library and at the time I was grateful because I did not have to by a text book but now I know that was a copyright issue and a miss-usage of the material. However, I also had teachers that were very conscious of the copyright issues and them constantly trying to make sure they were using the material fairly. Though, I can also say that the copyright and fair use is still a little foggy to me and there seems to be a lot of grey area, I will do my best as a teacher to be aware and fuse the material fairly.
   Chapter 11 brought a lot of issues that using technology in schools and classrooms can bring about. The three I will make sure to implement in my classroom if they are already not apart of the county or school policies are, having a filtering software, protecting students records and having a software that effectively does that, and having an anti-plagiarism software for students to turn their work into. The filtering software is "to prevent students from accessing unacceptable Internet site" (256). This is important to have to monitor the students activities while they are at school. Protecting students records is also a very important issue to implement in a classroom, there are software's to make this easy and keep the students information; such as, their grades and personal data relating to the students. The last thing I would implement in my classroom is to have an anti-plagiarism software accessible for the students to make use of when turning in assignments. There a a few that are available to use, but the one I have most frequently used in school is, TurnItIn. As a teacher these three issues are important to have in a classroom if the school or the district does not implement them themselves.

-Ashley Cahill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Journal 5

Blog Journal 6